Do you guys allow people to host smf forums?

Derpy Hooves

I have a rather inactive forum that I'm looking to move to free hosting. It gets like 5-50 post a day, 50 being MAX. Usually it's just like 10 posts. It's a Simple Machines forum. Is this allowed? I don't see anything that says I can't do it, in fact MySQL is allowed so I'd assume so... but I want to be sure before I move everything.

Would I need Johny for this BTW? I can post a link to the forum if need be BTW.. I'm just not sure if I need Johnny for it or not... Just let me know. Thanks.

Of course we do. Actally, you can use softaculous to install SMF for you, or you can upload your forum software through ftp and configure it manually. As long as you don't use too many system resources your account won't get suspended, but for a simple forum it would take a LOT of traffic to cause enough load to get suspended so you probably don't need to worry about it.

Since SMF only uses php and mysql (or another database) Stevie would probably be the ideal server for it to be located on unless you anticipate needing ASP.NET or RoR or something like that in the future. Stevie is much more stable, but Johnny would also run your forum just fine too.

Awesome, okay... do I need Johnny?... I guess I'm a little unsure, would an SMF forum require those scripts? I don't think it does, but I want to be sure I pick the right one and I don't want to overload Johny if it's not necessary.

Sorry I read the other half of your question as I was clicking submit.

Since SMF only uses php and mysql (or another database) Stevie would probably be the ideal server for it to be located on unless you anticipate needing ASP.NET or RoR or something like that in the future. Stevie is much more stable, but Johnny would also run your forum just fine too.