Support FAQ [READ THIS FIRST] Updated: 05.01.11

Wizard

This is a list of questions that we usually have to answer. Please read these before posting.

Thank you to all the people who are active contributors to heliohost and helionet.

Useful Links:

HelioHost Wiki

Server Load

Third party server monitor (Thanks Piotr GRD)

Another server monitor (Thanks egypt)

Status of your account

DNS checker

Twitter

This post addresses specific questions. For a more holistic guide to HelioHost, see this post: http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=7178

May 1, 2011

Your homepage says "Professional-Grade Hosting", but your support sucks/isn't helping me/is run by 5 volunteers, what gives?!

There is a difference between "Professional-Grade Hosting" and "Professional-Grade Customer Support." Most people are used to having dedicated customer support staff that will answer every little question; this comes standard with paid hosting. However, we don't do that here. Among the five of us, we have the collective knowledge and technical expertise of any other support staff, but in order for us to help you, we expect from you a certain competency. You must try to spell and use grammar correctly (to the best of your ability). You must provide necessary information (ex. username and domain name). You must be able to read instructions, and you must be able to follow instructions. We will treat you with respect and professionalism if you follow these guidelines. We will probably be very annoyed if u tyep liek thi5.

I log in frequently but am still receiving inactivity emails, what gives?

To ensure that your logins are logged, use the cPanel login form at the bottom of HelioHost.org to login.

Why must all posts be in English?

The support staff is fluent and reliable only in English.

I have an add-on domain problem!

http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=5553

Why does HelioHost crash?

Currently we are running about 20000 different accounts on one server, Stevie. Sometimes, that's a bit too much for Stevie or some user will abuse resources, both causing the server to crash. We try to fix this as quickly as we can. Since the server and cPanel are handling such a high volume of users, errors are bound to come up. We also try to fix these ASAP. Also, when djbob works on the server, he occasionally screws up, which also causes crashes ;).

Why don't you get another server?

We now have one! Signup at our home page.

Help! My account is suspended!

If you have not broken our Terms of Service, then you probably were suspended for inactivity. Renew your account here.

If you have overused cron or have broken any of the other ToS, shame on you.

I added a subdomain to my account and it shows a "Queued" page.

All domain and subdomain changes take a day to go into effect. Seeing the queued page is normal and only means the change hasn't taken effect yet.

If you continuously see this page, try clearing your browser cache. Also see the following:

http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=8604

I can't login!

If you just registered, please wait 48 hours for your cPanel account to become active. If you have waited that time and still see a Account Queued page, try refreshing your browser's cache.

If you are still experiencing problems, make sure you are entering your username in all lowercase letters, i.e. "wizard", not "Wizard" or "WIZARD".

How do I keep my account active/from being suspended?

Login to cPanel at least once a month.

Daily Signup Limit Reached!

The server has a daily limit for sign-ups so that it doesn't crash from all the people wanting to use HelioHost. The sign-up limit resets each day at 12:00AM PST.

My account was deleted, can I have my data back?

No. We do not keep backups of your data nor is it our responsibility to (See the Terms of Service). You must backup your own data regularly.

However, if your HelioHost cPanel account was deleted due to inactivity, feel free to create a new account.

Can I have more than one account?

No, it's one account per user.

Delete my account please.

http://www.heliohost.org/home/support/scripts/delete

Can I change my main domain?

http://www.heliohost.org/home/support/scripts/domain

What are the nameservers for HelioHost?

ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org

Can I PM you for help?

No, do not PM the administrators expecting support unless we explicitly tell you to. Please use the Customer Service forum instead.

Also, please provide your domain name, username, and server name up front so we don't have to waste time asking. Thank you.

The server is slow/Feature XYZ doesn't work/Something's wrong with my account/etc.

Please post in the Customer Service forum and we'll try to help you the best we can.

Also, please provide your domain name, username, and server name up front so we don't have to waste time asking. Thank you.

Can Feature XYZ be installed?

If you need a system-wide feature installed, you must talk to djbob. Or better yet, talk to Byron or me and we'll talk to djbob. Please post in the Questions forum with your request.

Stuff like phpBB and Wordpress can be installed via Fantastico.

Can I use SSH?

No. We don't offer SSH for security reasons.

I can't seem to install phpBB via source.

Please see this thread.

Wordpress permalinks don't work.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/356829#post-1462937

Where is djbob?

He's around.

Can you describe how HelioHost/Net is run?

See this (Outdated).

Your hosting SUCKS! So do YOU!!!

Read.

This as well.

I still have a question about Heliohost.

Please post in the Questions forum and we'll try to help you the best we can.

Further Reading:

How to Ask Smart Questions

Helionet Guidelines

• Like 1